Witness to Shiv Sena leader’s murder commits suicide, family alleges NIA harassed him


 Khanna: As per media reports Fed up of being repeatedly questioned by National Investigation Agency (NIA) sleuths a cobbler ended his life by jumping in the Sirhind Canal on Tuesday morning.


Rampal (55) of Khanna was thr prime eyewitness to the murder of Shiv Sena leader Durga Prasad Gupta president of labour wing of Shiv Sena Punjab.

According to The Tribune “his family alleged that the National Investigation Agency (NIA) was harassing him to become a witness in the case.”

“Munish, the son of the deceased, told the media his father was upset as the investigating agency called him whenever they wanted. As a result, he said, the business suffered as his father was the sole breadwinner for the family”, notes in The Tribune .

“My father left home around 7 am today. Later, he called from an unknown number and told me that he was going to commit suicide by jumping into Sirhind canal as the investigating agency was harassing him,” Munish said.

Rampal’s wife Kamlesh said her husband often told her the NIA would ruin him. “He feared that the NIA would detain him and take him to Delhi for investigation. He told me that the NIA mounted pressure on him to become a witness to Gupta’s murder”, a quote in The Tribune.

Ranbir Singh Tayagi, DSP, NIA, refused to link Rampal’s suicide with Gupta’s murder case. “Maybe, he committed suicide for some other reason,” he said. NS Mahal, Khanna SSP, said the body was handed over to the family after the postmortem. Inspector Pardeep Bajwa, SHO Sirhind police station, said the cops conducted proceedings under Section 174 of the CrPC.

It’s note able that Gupta was shot dead by unidentified persons here on April 23, 2016. In November last year, sharpshooter Hardeep Singh Shera and others were arrested in connection with targeted killings in the state.

NIA officers picked up Rampal for investigation as they came to know that he owned a small shop near the crime spot and it was he who had brought Gupta to the Civil Hospital, Khanna, after the shooting.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here